Thursday 2 March 2017

Interview with author and social media guru Julie A Gerber



This is Julie A Gerber. Julie has recently been featured in a Forbes article. This woman knows things. Pay attention while I ask a set of random questions:

Tell us a bit about yourself, who you are, where you’re from, what do you write, do you write full time or do you have another job and what you do for fun when you’re not writing. (Inside leg measurement, head circumference, shoe size-kidding!)


I am a nurse by trade, but I haven’t worked outside the home in years. I became a blogger when my youngest was born and after reviewing a lot of books for indie authors, I decided to create a business to help them with their social media. I created Away We Go Media and help authors build their followings. I also beta read and offer other services. I have co-authored two books and have my first solo book in the works. I live in South Georgia but I’m in the process of preparing to move to sunny Fl. When I am not working, I am reading or spending time with family.

When did you first start writing and did you enjoy it right from the start?

I wrote when I was younger, but never thought I would ever see my name on the cover of a book. I have always enjoyed it, but I love to read other author’s books even more. Beta reading is the best part of my job. I enjoy seeing how my feedback can shape characters and plots.

Out of the entire process of writing and publishing what do you enjoy the most?
I enjoy the publishing part more. Not the actual formatting, but the cover creation and marketing. I enjoy social media and building relationships. When you have that with your fans, it is an amazing feeling.

Is there anything from writing through to promotion and publication that you wish you didn’t have to do?
When formatting is brought up, I cringe. I know how, but I hate it so much.

Popular answer to that particular question! Tell us about where you write. Do you have a dedicated space or are you able to write anywhere?
I write at my desk. It is a dedicated space, but the location allows for huge distractions when my family is home. When I go house hunting in Fl, a dedicated office space with privacy is at the top of my list. My sanity depends on it.

Do you have a process or any habits that must be completed before you start writing?

I sure do! I have a heater that I run on my legs and feet and a fan that blows on my face and upper body. Is that weird enough for you? My feet are always cold. I do this mostly to drown out the noise. I find that when I do this, everything around me blurs and I can get into my zone and forget the world around me.

That does sound like the type of weird I do! I can certainly relate to cold feet, I have the same problem. Name a place, fictional or real that you’d like to visit.

I want to go to Scotland and Ireland with my family. I have always dreamed of spending a few weeks sleeping in castles and visiting ruins and museums. I want to smell the peat fire in a big kitchen while eating a hearty stew.

I wouldn’t mind going to Scotland and Ireland either (and I live in England! You’d have thought I’d have made it there by now.) Who are your favourite authors and what are you reading at the moment?

My favorite authors at the moment are L.T. Ryan (affliction Z series) and Bobby Adair (Slow Burn series) because I love end of the world stuff. I am currently reading Doing Germany by Agnieszka Paletta. I am enjoying it very much!

ZOMBIES! I LOVE ZOMBIES (couldn’t eat a whole one!) What music do you like? Who is on your current play list?

I love Imagine Dragons, Nine Inch Nails, Billy Joel, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Taylor Swift, and the soundtracks from the Twilight series. I like different things based on my mood.

Finally, if you weren’t a writer and social media guru and you could choose to do anything else with your life what would you do?

I guess I would be a nurse. Since I am already licensed, it would make sense! It has always been my back up plan. Thankfully I haven’t had to go back!






















Thanks Julie, someone needs to decide if I want a print copy or ebook of Navigating Indieworld. Decisions decisions...

Meanwhile the rest of you click all of these.

You never know my links may even work!

Website  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Almost Halloween

Today is one of the highlights of my year. I love Halloween. I don't particularly enjoy the incessant opening of the front door and hand...